Cheltenham Festival 202314 – 17 March 2023
1997 Cheltenham Festival Horse Racing Gold Cup Horse Racing
The 1997 Cheltenham Gold Cup was a horse race which took place at Cheltenham on Thursday 13 March 1997. It was the 70th running of the Cheltenham Gold Cup, and it was won by Mr Mulligan. The winner was ridden by Tony McCoy and trained by Noel Chance. The pre-race favourite Imperial Call pulled-up before fence 18.
McCoy’s victory completed a big-race double, as he had also ridden the winner of the Champion Hurdle two days earlier.
- Sponsor: Tote
- Winner’s prize money: £134,810.00
- Going: Good
- Number of runners: 14
- Winner’s time: 6m 35.5s
* The distances between the horses are shown in lengths or shorter. PU = pulled-up.
† Trainers are based in Great Britain unless indicated.
Further details of the winner, Mr Mulligan:
- Foaled: 25 April 1988 in Ireland
- Sire: Torus; Dam: Miss Manhattan (Bally Joy)
- Owner: Michael and Geraldine Worcester
- Breeder: James Rowley
- news.google.co.uk/newspapers – New Straits Times – 15 March 1997.