Cheltenham Festival 202314 – 17 March 2023
2004 Cheltenham Festival Horse Racing Gold Cup Horse Racing
The 2004 Cheltenham Gold Cup was a horse race which took place at Cheltenham on Thursday, 18 March 2004. It was the 76th running of the Cheltenham Gold Cup, and it was won by the pre-race favourite Best Mate. The winner was ridden by Jim Culloty and trained by Henrietta Knight.
With his third successive Gold Cup victory Best Mate became the fourth horse to win the race three times or more, and he was the first triple-winner since Arkle in the mid-1960s.
- Sponsor: Totesport
- Winner’s prize money: £203,000.00
- Going: Good
- Number of runners: 10
- Winner’s time: 6m 42.6s
* The distances between the horses are shown in lengths or shorter. PU = pulled-up.
† Trainers are based in Great Britain unless indicated.
Further details of the winner, Best Mate:
- Foaled: 28 January 1995, in Ireland
- Sire: Un Desperado; Dam: Katday (Miller’s Mate)
- Owner: Jim Lewis
- Breeder: Jacques Van’t Hart
- telegraph.co.uk – “”Best Mate leaps into history”” – March 19, 2004.